Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

Ford 1715: I HAVE A FORD TRACTOR NEW HOLLAND 1715. CLUTCH IS…

Customer Question
I HAVE A FORD TRACTOR...
I HAVE A FORD TRACTOR NEW HOLLAND 1715. CLUTCH IS STUCK VERY HARD. UNABLE TO XXXXX

WHAT IS CAUSE. HOW DO YOU FREE THE CLUTCH?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

Can you get tractor started and in gear? You need to tie the clutch pedal down, and with plenty of room, drive the tractor and use the brakes to jerk it from side to side. Safety is the most important thing to remember, use common sense and don't get in a tight spot. Use a medium gear speed, not a low gear. The clutch plate will be jerked loose from the flywheel. Common problem when unit is left outside for extended periods of time. Worse case, you have to split the tractor and replace the clutch and clean the flywheel.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Even though the tractor was outside a lot, we have been using it almost daily without the
clutch sticking. The sticking problem just recently occurred.We have had lot of rain.
I might add that about a year ago the tractor was split and clutch replaced. Is it possible that
some workmanship at that time was not up to par?
No, it could have been replaced with clutch that is more metallic and would have tendency to rust. Also when clutch was replaced , likely they refaced the flywheel, which left a clean, surface, just ready to rust. With high moisture content, it does not take long for a clutch to stick to the flywheel. The operators manual would tell you to place block in unit, to keep clutch from flywheel face when not using.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician