Agriculture and Farm Equipment

Agriculture and farm Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic.

manual for 1971 Ford 3000 calls for Ford automatic transmission…

Customer Question
manual for 1971 Ford...
manual for 1971 Ford 3000 calls for Ford automatic transmission fluid for rear end / hydrolics. Does that mean old Type F? Is there a spec number?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Agriculture and Farm Equipment
2/22/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

What transmission do you have? If you have the old selecto shift (automatic), you would use the old type F fluid in the transmission. But if you have standard transmission, you need the New Holland 134 fluid in the transmission/hydraulic/rearend. They are all the same cavity.

Customer:

My I&T Shop Service manual calls for 17 qts of SAE 80EP oil in 8spd trans and 20.5 qts of Ford hydrolic transmission fluid in final drive / hydro section. It goes on to state that the lubricant is seperated from transmission lubbricant by oil seals. Having never broken one apart I'm clueless. Could it be that since manual written it was found seals didn't really keep fluids seperated and now go with same fluid?

koboma :

All you need is the New Holland hytrans fluid with the 134 spec. The IT manual is incorrect. The cases are all together and you will find no seals separating the transmission from the rear end. 37 quarts of fluid would translate to almos ten gallons of fluid, that is going to be too much. Unit will hold closer to 6 gallons total. If in doubt, drain the transmission, and see what is left in the rear end.

koboma :

Do NOT use the type F in any modern unit.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician