Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

As you know they had to replace my windshield - finally got…

As you know they had...
As you know they had to replace my windshield - finally got it done last night. However, I may have an issue with the installer and his son. The installer was not very friendly at all and his son after I left popped open my hood and played around in there for 10 minutes, the car was facing away from the camera - so difficult to say what he was doing - but I could tell he took a cover off of some type of box. Seems very suspicious. My question is can some one with access to my fob, inside of my car and engine compartment, copy my access codes to start or damage the car - or steal it?? He had his smartphone, he is 19 to 25 years old and a foreigner looking?? When I asked for my fob back he went to the car and when he got to the car it appeared as if he used his smartphone to unlock the doors.
7/20/2018
Anthony P.
Anthony P., Acura Mechanic
Umm well yes. There’s an app that clones fob id numbers. These are highly highly common to use to do exactly what you described. Now did he do it ? I can’t tell you but what you can do and you may have to pay a dealer too do is have all your fobs “erased”. What the deaker does is hooks up the hds. Then they go into immobilizer and does a all fobs lost. Then they reprogram the only fobs you give them. Then it erases everything cloned or that you didn’t physically give them.
Without a hds I can’t any tell you if he did or didn’t. But the dealer can make sure you have them all erased
Here’s a video of thieves cloning a fob right in the driveway. They were able to do this because they could see the fob frequency in the house
https://www.google.com/amp/s/bgr.com/2017/11/27/car-relay-theft-video-how-to-prevent/amp/
Anthony P.
Anthony P., Acura Mechanic
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you very, very much as usual great answer!
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I rated you 5 star last time - did that show up?

It did, thank you very much. Have a great weekend.