Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My fathers 2005 acura RL had the batter die now with it

Customer Question
Hello, my fathers 2005...

Hello, my fathers 2005 acura RL had the batter die now with it charged the alarm system is going we used the key to manually open and lock the door and the head lights stopped blinking

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

However the dash board lights flash for the vsa and sh-awd sytstem lights are flashing and he can not put the car in dreverse the engine turns over and starts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Acura?

RL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car is fine, but as the battery died, the alarm systems are causing problems my father recharged the battery and the car starts now, but the alarm system is not letting him use the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I believe that is it, thank you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Acura
3/26/2018
Mechanic for Acura: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

If the alarm is a factory installes acura alarm then you should be able to turn the key from the on to off position 5 times and it will reset the alarm.

If it is a dealer installed alarm you might need to turn the key in the driver's door lock 5 times to get it to reset.

Also, if the battery connections are corroded or the battery voltage is still low the alarm will not reset. Have you tested the battery voltage yet?

it would seem that we found the problem. initially due to the battery dieing, the car alarm would go off and so my father took the battery out and removed the spark plug for the horn while trying to figure out the problem. in that time i found a solution online to fix the base car door alarm which is the second solution, it did work on the first time openeing and closing the door with the key manually. but the follow up issue was the car would not go in gear, which, now, i realize is because he still had the battery and horn spark plug removed. i'm on the phone with him so i didn't realize. thank you for your help but we did resolve the problem while on the wait time

Oh ok. That makes sense. Please let me know if you need additional info.

no we have it working again, thank you for the time

Sounds good.