Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just started this morning but check engine light is flashing…

Customer Question
Just started this morning...

Just started this morning but check engine light is flashing the the VTM-4 light came on. There seems to be a clicking noise only able to truly hear at low speeds but may be due to the high speed noise muffling the sound. Unfortunately it is a weekend so can't take it to my mechanic, but wanted to see if it is ok if I drive it short distances this weekend.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Check engine light blinks and VTM- light stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Acura?

2004 MDX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing self but can do minor things before bringbto mechanic on Monday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I made sure the tire pressures were good. I had to get gas so filled the tank. Checked the oil and was thinking of putting in Prolong

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Acura
3/24/2018
Mechanic for Acura: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 28 days ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

This indicates there is an issue with the ignition that could be causing damage to the catalytic converter. If possible, I would run it up to a parts store and ask them to check the codes. Most will do this free for you, then you can post it here with me so I can give you more details. More then likely the VTM light is on because the check engine light is on. It likely needs a new ignition coil on one of the cylinders. The check engine light should be leaving a code to tell us which one.

Please let me know what else I can do to make this a 5 star rating for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
it is ok if I drive it short distances?

Yes, it won't leave you stranded if you do, you just don't want to drive it to much because it could cause a problem with the catalytic converter which would cost you more to repair. Short trips no problem and again, if you get the code, let me know here so I can provide more help.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Apparently short distances not good it broke down and now I'm stuck with no auto place near by
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Worse than expected

Yes, this sounds like more then just a misfire going on here.

I am sorry to hear this, I am really sorry.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician