Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2009 Acura TL. Wife was driving and it sputtered to a stop.

2009 Acura TL....

2009 Acura TL. Wife was driving and it sputtered to a stop. Fuel pump symptoms. Will crank up, run for a second, and then cut off. Will crank back up, run for a second, and cut back off. If you press the pedal, nothing happens. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel transfer unit. Same symptoms. It has spark and will run on starting fluid. Filter and fuel pressure regulator were replaced with in tank pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

150k. I service the vehicle mostly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fuel pump, Fuel transfer unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can a resistor or relay cause symptoms?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

this here sound like anti theft system is killing fule pulse if running on starting fluid

what the security indicator doing on dash ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not see security light flashing.

if there is an issue the indicator will flash once, then it will blink until the ignition switch is turned to LOCK (0). When the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK (0) position, the indicator will blink ten times to signal that unit has reset correctly, then the indicator will go off.

what is the security indicator doing is your going off ?

Fuel circuit

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t see any security at all

On the fuel pump relay ,we have 4 pins ,

2 powers , one from battery constant m,one from switch , one is ground ,ecm control to energize the relay and one to fuel pump ?

do you have a test light ?

what are we missing ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pump is working. It turns on and purges fuel. The security system is a concern right now. She was experiencing her alarm going off at times on its own

then this is security issue

not fuel or spark ?

but just earlier u said u do not see a light ?

i m confused here

what is the security indicator doing key on or start , does it go out or blinks or steady on ? ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t see a security indicator at all.

no security light at all , then it is triggered on ?and that is our problem

have you checked the fuses in the driver side fuse box

click on link to view system parts involved

best is to have Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed here ,that is done by hooking up the scanner to your vehicle DLC data port connector and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you do get the Faults Read ,Please post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it and send you the pin point troubleshoot to perform or the most possible causes for it .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked fuses for fuel injection, but not for security.

There is 2 fuses i want you to check

click on link to view ,wiring diagram , i highlighted the fuses in yellow for you

please let me know if u can view them

I m not sure why you checking fuses for injection that is not the issue ?

the security light supposed to be blinking when off then when key inserted should stay on stead few seconds then go out

if it is not coming at all that means it is immobilized the vehicle

you need to run this test but you will need a capable scanner in part of the test .

Symptom Troubleshooting: Immobilizer indicator does not go off or does not come on

Immobilizer indicator does not go off or does not come on

1. Press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.

2. Press the engine start/stop button to select the ON mode.

3. Check the immobilizer indicator.

Does the immobilizer indicator come on?
YES - Go to step 4.

NO - Go to step 9.

4. Check the immobilizer indicator.

Does the indicator come on, then go off?
YES - Go to step 5.

NO - Go to step 10.

5. Press the engine start/stop button to select the OFF mode.

6. Insert the remote into the remote slot.

7. Press the engine start/stop button to select the ON mode.

8. Check the immobilizer indicator.

Does the indicator blink once, then stay off?
YES - Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time.

NO - Go to step 12.

9. Check the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

Does the indicator come on?
YES - Troubleshooting the PCM DTCs.

NO - Replace the gauge control module. See: Instrument Cluster / Carrier > Removal and Replacement

10. Select KEYLESS ACCESS CONTROL UNIT from the ONE-PUSH START SYSTEM system select menu with HDS, and enter KEYLESS ACCESS CONTROL UNIT INFORMATION.

11. Do the SYSTEM CHECK 1 and 2 with the HDS.

Is N-1 OK indicated?
YES - Replace the gauge control module. See: Instrument Cluster / Carrier > Removal and Replacement

NO - Troubleshoot the keyless access system according to the result of the SYSTEM CHECK 1 and 2. See: Keyless Entry > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Keyless Access System Symptom Troubleshooting Information

12. Select REMOTE SLOT CONTROL UNIT from the ONE-PUSH START SYSTEM system select menu with HDS, and enter KEYLESS ACCESS CONTROL UNIT INFORMATION.

13. Do the SYSTEM CHECK with the HDS.

Is N-1 OK indicated?

NO - Troubleshoot the smart keyless access system according to the result of the SYSTEM CHECK. See: Keyless Entry > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Keyless Access System Symptom Troubleshooting Information

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).

You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both fuses are good. Can I disable theft system?

unfortunately there is no fuse or relay to pull out to disable it , I suggest scanning it and you are sure and we are accurate ,check the key fob battery ,

you can try this below reset in case was a glitch

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .

2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )

3- Wait 30 min

4- Close all doors and trunk

5- Reconnect Battery Positive First

6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door

Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock

7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

If you get faults you welcome back to post back here and i can pull up and send you a pin point troubleshoot

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Key fob i working. I will hard reset now.

ok sounds let me know

make sure the car battery has 12 volt and holding , a weak car battery will also trigger the system

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I reset, but no change. I do not see a security light. Does it flash security or a key logo or what. Wife’s car and she doesn’t remember. Lol.

it will have a key symbol ,green light in the dash ,where the rpm ,speed ect

if the if it recognizing the key , the minum the key fob battery or it could be hood,door ,trunk switches , locks , receiver ,anti theft antenna , to many to guess at it to be honest with you

but that light not coming and fuses are good , usual the cluster , the gauges needs replaced and if that case will require a scanner to reprogram to car

it will a shop with capable scanner ,i think this as much as u can do with out scan or we end up throwing parts at it :)

if you do scan it ,post fault back here for me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Green light comes on for a quick second and goes off. I locked the doors with fob and have a red blinking light on dash.

then security light is working ,and that is not a security issue ,so we being going around in circles .

so you have a no fuel or no spark issue and that can be for number of reasons

you need to check fuel pressure and electric and same thing on spark side

possible causes

fuel pump ,fuel pump relay ,wiring, ignition switch

ckp sensor , ignition, ecm

so further testing is needed ,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has fuel and spark. It will crank up and run for a brief moment on its own. Runs on starting fluid. Fuel primes when key is turned and ejects gas. Will crank up and run for a moment 100 out of 100 times. It’s getting fuel and spark.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve replaced pump and transfer unit. Regulator and filter are new. My initial, very first question, is this a resistor or relay issue.

Not with out further testing I can not say , I will be guessing ,since i can not see , feel or touch the car

But I will opt out of your question and open it for other expert to assist you on it further ,

Please do not reply back to me since it will lock question back to my screen

Good luck with it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please read the initial complaint before answering the wrong questions.
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem. Lets try a few things first to see where the problem could be. When you turn the key "ON" does the green key in the dash come on and then go off or does it blink after a few seconds?

What happens if you unplug the MAF sensor connector on the top of the air filter housing and try to start the car?

Is the air filter wet or very dirty? is the hose from the air cleaner to the engine ok?

Did you have any check engine lights on before the problem started?

Did the problem start just after gas was added to the tank?

I realize the questions are all over the place but I can't see the car so i'm trying to get an idea of what works and what does not.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow. I unplugged the MAF sensor and it cranked!! What does that mean?

The MAF sensor is fouled/bad or the intake tube is torn. make sure the intake tube isnt restricted or broken,check the air filter try cleaning the MAF sensor with electrical cleaner (not brake spray or throttle body cleaner) Either there is air entering the engine the sensor isnt seeing or the sensor is dirty and it doesn't sense airflow. Unplugging it causes the PCM to substute a given value to the input and will usually let the engine start . I have seen a few bad and dirty sensors in these.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve heard of cars running better after the maf unplugged, but they were running beforehand. In either case, Thanks!!!

Thank you, ***** ***** forget to rate my service.

acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
acramstr
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech