Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to get into my 2008 Acura TL but the battery is dead.

I need to get...

I need to get into my 2008 Acura TL but the battery is dead. The fob will not unlock my car so I am scared to use the key to unlock it in fear it will set off the alarm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes. This is a brand new battery. It is either a lemon or there is a bigger issue with the car, possibly alternator.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am certainly not fixing it myself. I haven’t tried anything considering I can’t even get into the car to pop the hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don’t believe so.

3/13/2018
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem.Unlocking the door with te key should not set the alarm off. There is a switch in the lock that resets the alarm. These cars have 3 common problems that can cause the battery to drain when they sit overnight. The most common one is the Hands free phone controller in the overhead console. They short out and cause the battery to drain when the car is off. The other is the relay for the Air conditioning it can stick and drain the battery as well. The alternators will go out in these as well But they will usually make a loud whine noise when the engine is running , Since you didnt mention any noise I would start by opening the door the door and hood to jump start the car with the door key and then charge the battery and have it checked for a bad alternator or a short.

Thank you ,Come again

acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech
Spot on. My Bluetooth link doesn’t work anymore and sometimes I feel like the AC is weak. Appreciate your help!!

Ok have the HFL unit ( bluetooth) unplugged it is easy to do just remove the map lens assembly(pulls down) and then 4 8mm bolts under it and pull down the map light base and unplug the HFL unit. and put it back together . this fixes them most of the time. Thank you ,Come again