Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

There was a lot of rain here last week and at one point,

Customer Question
There was a lot...

There was a lot of rain here last week and at one point, almost every single warning light in my car was on, although the car drove fine. I took it to my mechanic and he said he thought that the belt got wet and that it should be fine after a few days. All of the warning lights did go away after a few days and there are no warning lights at startup now. However, after driving for maybe 20 minutes or so I now am getting a "CHECK VSA SYSTEM" light and the VSA and exclamation point light stay on. If I turn the car off and turn it back on the warnings are gone.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Last week? check engine, ABS system, is was giving TPMS errors and DTC codes and the SH-AWD light was on as well as the front passenger seat airbag light - I think it was every light that comes on when you out the key in and turn it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Acura?

2008 RDX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet as the car drives fine and the only light that is still coming on is the CHECK VSA SYSTEM on the control panel and the VSA and exclamation point on the top right of dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sometimes the check brake system light comes on in really cold weather but then goes away when the car gets warm. I guess I am wondering if it could be simply that I need a new battery or something or if there are faulty sensors?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Acura
3/7/2018
Mechanic for Acura: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

ok
what is the question?

You and your mechanic are both partially right, if you remember the phrase about computers, [GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT] This is what is exactly is happening. if the voltage to the ECU [COMPUTER] drops below a certain voltage all sorts of crazy things can happen, even for a brief time say if the starter draws to much or battery does not have a good reserve left. So what would suggest is to have an AVR test performed on your vehicle . This will check all aspects of the starting, charging and battery conditions as well as replace all old drive belts.

I just sent a service if you wish more clarification on this.

let me know

you think it is likely related to the battery? would putting in a new battery fix the problem? I am not really worried about anything but the CHECK VSA SYSTEM lights which are continually coming on after about 20 minutes or so of driving. everything else went away
I understand and appreciate the information you are providing. I was thinking it might be related to the battery somehow but after some online reading thought maybe it could be a YAW sensor or brake light switch? Hence why I am here. Any thoughts on why you think it wouldn't be one of those?

for two reasons when ever I get more then one trouble code I always check the power source to make sure it never falls below that per determined voltage as even if it does for a slight bit it can trigger codes, the other thing is these codes or what your mentioning are not related. Not to say they are not legit codes but after you do that test on the power as I suggested then if needed we can proceed.Always proceed in diagnostics in a logical way and never jump to conclusions.