Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Acura MDX and the alarm went off several times…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2010 Acura MDX and the alarm went off several times today. I wonder what is the cause. I live in NJ and the weather is cold outside. I park the MDX on my driveway. Thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yes. I used the remote to unlock the car to stop the alarm. Then I locked the car using the remote. The alarm went off 2 hours later. Then I tried to lock it manually from the driver side, the alarm went off about 30 minutes later.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ZDX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a MDX, not ZDX. The alarm went off once in December but didn't go off until today. I noticed that from a couple of days ago, using my remote, I can lock my car by pressing the lock button once, but when I pressed it a second time, nothing happened, and I only hear the locking sound. When it was working normally, when I click the lock button a second time, it would give me a short 'beep', and the headlight would stay on for 10-20 seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Here's what I tried today. 1. locking using the remote; 2. locking manually from the driver's side door. But the alarm continued to go off after some time.

If I need to keep the alarm from going off tonight, can I just keep the car unlocked?
1/18/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

If the alarm is only going off when it has been set, then yes, keeping the car unlocked will prevent it from going off randomly.

The common cause of the alarm going off randomly is a faulty hood alarm switch, which is part of the hood latch assembly. You can test this by disconnecting the switch - see attached photo of connector location - and on the harness side connector, insert a jumper wire between the 2 connector terminals. Shut the hood and set the alarm. If it does not randomly go off, replace the hood latch assembly

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Thanks Eric. I don't have a jumper wire so I might not be able to try it tonight. If I bring it to MDX dealer, will they be able to figure out the problem by checking on the car computer system (excuse my layman's term)?

HI,

Yes, they can use their scan tool to interrogate the alarm sensors and command them off and on and see which one is not responding correctly.

Thanks Eric. I'll bring my car to dealer to check tomorrow. I keep it unlocked so that the alarm won't go off in the middle of night.

you are welcome