Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Acura RL and the check emissions light came on!!! Check…

Customer Question
2008 Acura RL and...

2008 Acura RL and the check emissions light came on!!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check engine light and the screen has the check engine light along with check emissions system

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Acura?

Rl Technology

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet seeing if there is some self help as to what caused it to come on

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Acura
1/16/2018
Mechanic for Acura: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

There are several parts to the emissions system. Generally what you can do from home is have a look at the gas cap. Make sure it's on good and tight. If it is, then you will need to have the codes read to know where to start looking for a problem. You can usually have this done free at a parts store, then relay the code to me and I can give you a more detailed answer to help diagnose the cause of the light.

If you do find the gas cap is a little bit loose, tighten it up, the lights will eventually go out on their own, but this does take some time. The car has to run a self test to make sure the problem is gone.

As long as the car is running normally, it's ok to drive it with the lights on. It will not leave you strander or cause any further damage.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

Do you need more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician