Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought a rebuilt 2005 Acura MDX, without a remote key fob.

Customer Question
When I got out, I...
I bought a rebuilt 2005 Acura MDX, without a remote key fob. When I got out, I locked the doors using the power door lock switch, then closed the driver's door. At that point I realized that the rebuild had included replacing the driver's door with a salvage door, and the locks had not been swapped. So my ignition key does not unlock the door.
Fortunately the rear passenger side door lock doesn't lock/unlock in response to the power lock switch, so I opened the door to get back in - and the alarm started going off as though I had broken in. I tried putting the key in the ignition, and even starting the engine (which worked), but the alarm continued to blare. So I popped the hood and disconnected the battery to stop the alarm.
How can I reset the alarm when (1) I don't have a remote unlock fob, and (2) my valid ignition key does not unlock the driver's door?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Acura
1/13/2018
Mechanic for Acura: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Disarming the alarm is either going to require a functional key fob or unlocking a door which has a functional disarm switch, using the key. There should be a disarm switch on both front doors that will send a signal to disarm security when the door is unlocked manually. The lock cylinder on the driver's door is going to need to be replaced or removed and keyed correctly anyway, so at that time the disarm switch and wiring can be inspected and tested if necessary.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Unfortunately the delayed response required me to find a solution to my problem before you responded. I'm sorry that I didn't have time to close my question before you took the time to respond, but your response, regardless of its accuracy, isn't helpful to me so I can't give you a high rating. BTW, the 2005 MDX does NOT have a key cylinder in the passenger side door, so that proposed solution isn't applicable. In addition, your response doesn't actually answer my specific question - perhaps because there isn't an officially sanctioned answer. My solution was to take the driver's door apart, disconnect the disarm switch from the lock cylinder, and manually operate the switch in order to appear to the security system as though a valid key was turning the lock cylinder.
Please let me know the appropriate way to close this question without damaging your rating but without me being charged for a response that came too late to be helpful to me.