Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just did a valve job, and on the test drive, I hear a

Customer Question
I just did a...

I just did a valve job, and on the test drive, I hear a noise coming from the rear cyliner bank

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?

198k there is a power steering leak, that is another issue

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Acura?

06 mdx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, Yesterday I adjusted the valves

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was misfiring on startup

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Acura
12/26/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

okay. It's hard to describe the noise. Is there any way to send a video?

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

Can you do a compression test on the rear cylinders you suspecting, i would do on all of them

they make a compression test that has air connection that plugs in cylinder to see if any of the valves are leaking do you have that tool

Or a lifter tapping ,or exhauts manifold leaking , you can send pictures on site here using that attachement not video, but make a video on you tube and send me link :)
I do not have those tools, but I think I may be able to get them from the autoparts store
loaninghttps://youtu.be/-KwDYKqWH6I
Okay I did watch the video, thatbis internal ,something went bad in the valave job , or we have timing belt on tensioner issue ,
I can tell , but more of valve or rod bearing crank bearing , key is , compression test and get that tool and let see so we are not guessing and accurate ,do not drive on it
Let me know, just get back here when you ready and we continue
when I did the valve job, I rotated the crank clockwise, which is what I saw in the manual. Is this correct?
Also, it's coming from the rear, Cylinder #3. Is it possible that I just adjusted that one to tight?
possible ,did you do valave job in car or pulled head o
Not sure what you mean. I had to pull the valve cover gaskets off. Do you have any tips on how to perform a compression test?

ok i see, ,you just pull the spark plugs out and screw in the tool

compression specs on this truck are 144 psi

click on link to view the pdf file with compression test instructions

compression test instructions, disregard last pdf file ,not for your car

not sure that's the right pdf link. Can you douiuble check?

check last one ,first one was not for you

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat