Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Acura MDX that just failed emissions. I am…

Customer Question
Hello i have a...

Hello i have a 2007 Acura MDX that just failed emissions

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ZDX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am talking about Acura MDX 2007 ..it has bank one catalytic convertor error

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

135000

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Acura
12/21/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This almost always means the catalytic converter has failed. Verify that the fuel trims on both banks are good at idle and when driving the vehicle. It is possible to have the fuel trim at 20% and not set a fuel trim code and cause the catalytic converter to not function properly. (Honda fuel trims target 1.00 so 1.10 is +10% and 0.90 is - 10%. If the fuel trim is only off on one bank, look for a faulty Air/Fuel (A/F) Ratio sensor, a vacuum leak or a fuel delivery problem on the bank where the fuel trim is off. Monitor the rear O2 sensor on B1, the firewall bank, and when driving at a steady cruise that O2 sensor should not switch, it should be steady around 0.5 to 0.8 volts. If it is trying to switch, the code will set. There is a catalytic converter on the rear side and a 3rd one that is not monitored. So if the catalytic converter is faulty, it is the one off the manifold. Having converter replaced is about a $800 job at a shop, you are fine to drive vehicle as is if it seems to run normally. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.