Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

After replacing batteries in both key fobs for 2005 Acura…

Customer Question
After replacing batteries in...

After replacing batteries in both key fobs for 2005 Acura RL, they are not recognized and will not open doors

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Acura?

RL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't done anything except replace the batteries in the fobs. I am able to unlock the driver side door and turn the car on with the actual key that lives inside the fob

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Acura
12/20/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. I would be happy to assist you with this.

If both fobs stopped working after replacing the batteries then it sounds like they may have rebooted and lost their saved programming. If this is the case then they will need to be programmed by a locksmith or your local dealer, there is usually only about a half hour labor charge to complete this procedure

Helpful yet not helpful
Mechanic for Acura: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Do you still need help with the remote programming without taking it to a dealer or locksmith? You should be able to do it yourself as long as you have double checked the batteries are installed correctly and remotes are operational.

Try this before going to dealer to have it programmed.

Programming the Transmitter

• You must complete steps 1-6 within 4 seconds of the previous step to keep the system from exiting the programming mode.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

2. Press the “Lock” or “Unlock” button on one of the transmitters. (An unprogrammed transmitter can be used for this step.)

3. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

4. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 two more times. Use the same transmitter used in step 2.

5. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

6. Press the “Lock” or “Unlock” button on the same transmitter. Make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm that the system is in programming mode.

7. Within 10 seconds, press the “Lock” or “Unlock” button on each transmitter, including the one used to enter the programming mode. Make sure the power door locks cycle after you press each transmitter button to confirm that the system accepted the transmitter’s code.

8. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0) to exit the programming mode.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for assisting you and can then close out question. Thanks you and have a Happy Holiday.

I haven't gotten it to work, and to be honest, I found the same info on Google, so it's hard to give a good review when I didn't expect to pay $22 for something that I found on my own.

I do not work for the company and am an independent expert. If I do not get a rating of 3 or more stars then i do not get credit for assisting you. If my information did not help you then let me know?

It did not. I'd rather not give you a neg rating at all and leave as is

That is fine, I will just let it time out or you can ask for refund to customer service since you will need to have dealer reprogram the FOBs for you.

Thank you.

Your welcome. Have a nice Holiday.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61