Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

I have a 2004 Acura MDX that caused me trouble today. The…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Acura...
I have a 2004 Acura MDX that caused me trouble today. The check engine light starting flashing and the VTM-4 light came on. I recently replaced the transmission, but this felt like a fuel management/emissions issue. It is running very rough.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Acura
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Mechanic for Acura: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

have you scanned for codes?

mostly mis-fire codes like P0304, etc.
It is running very rough and strangely starts to shake at 50 mph with the foot off the gas.
I had the codes cleared at the auto parts store, and the first one to show up was cylinder 4 mis-fire...could it just be a new coil on that cylinder? that said, before codes cleared, I had mis-fires on all 6 as well as a 'random' mis-fire code. Was wondering if EGR valve.
Mechanic for Acura: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing great.

Based off the codes/symptoms you have given it sounds like the Cylinder4 misfire is our main culprit. You can clear the code and swap the coil to another cylinder and then check and see if the misfire changes cylinders. If it stays on cylinder 4 then it may be a plug or injector issue, but I would start with the coil as those are the most common failures on these

Mechanic for Acura: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You opted out both experts that have tried to help, preventing them from replying to you.

The engine light flashes due to a severe misfire. There are quite a few things that can cause a misfire including ignition issues, the fuel injector wiring, the engine controller, an internal engine issues.

Are you hoping to do the required testing yourself?

I was hoping to figure it out myself. I think I will have the codes read again today, as I had them erased a few days ago.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Here's the codes I found: 84-1 Sensor Logic Malfunction, P0302, P0304, P0300, P0301, P0305, P0306, P0303 (all cylinders). It is making a lot of clicking noises, doesn't like when the accelerator if feathered, stinky emissions. Attached is a picture of the dashboard lights. Thanks, Kent
I am more available now (not sure if you are), so can make this discussion more fluid.

I'm a full time tech and at work this afternoon, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Sounds good, thanks.
Are you a Chrysler mechanic or Acura??

I assume the noise is coming from the engine? Did that start at the same time as it running poorly?

Came out of nowhere

Are you able to upload a recording of the noise?

Could an EGR valve do this?

A leaking EGR valve can cause the engine to run poorly at low RPM's.

Makes noise all through RPM range, but at 1500 is especially bad, car shakes if cruising/feathering.

I doubt you have an issue with the EGR valve. If there is noise from the engine then there is mechanical failure.

Wouldn't you get clicking, etc if gas isn't burning from cylinder to cylinder?
I just replaced the tranny, so you are killing me here.

No. Noise is from mechanical failure.

Ok, but I've driven it probably 40 miles since this started. Would that make sense re: mechanical failure?

Yes.

ok, is there a specific mechanical failure that comes to mind? valves out of adjustment, or something more significant?

It could be a broken valvespring or something of that nature. I haven't heard the noise to be able to attempt to determine what it is.

Ok, thanks, I'll bring it to a mechanic. Kent

You're welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician