Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car has front end damage, the alternator is good and it…

Customer Question
My car has front end...
My car has front end damage, the alternator is good and it drives when the battery is fully charged but when off it discharges. The airbag is delayed what are Some of the reasons the battery drains quickly ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Acura
12/13/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Pete, Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Looking at the damage in the photo you sent I don't see anything there myself that would cause the battery drain unless a wiring connection is shorted.Inspect the wiring near the damaged area and see if any wiring or connections are found damaged in any way.

The radio shorting internally as well as an interior light circuit or stuck on relay are most common but there are several electronics in your vehicle that can cause this issue here as well.

You will need to have a parasitic battery drain/draw test done with a multi meter to locate which component is causing this issue here.This can be done by a shop or dealer or yourself or anyone you know that has this tool to do this testing.Below is the procedure for how this is tested.

O.k., what needs to be done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery, this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete