Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

Transmission n problems. Today. Acura 3.2tl. 2003. Replaced…

Customer Question
Transmission n problems Mechanic's...

Transmission n problems

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Today

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Acura?

Acura 3.2tl

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Acura?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced the transmission two times

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Both cars was running that I took the 2 transmissions from.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Acura
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/12/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What trans issues are you having?

The car will not change gears but one time. It seems as though it is in second gear all the time. When it does change to Second it is a very hard jerk almost make the front tires squeal when it changes. When I do put it into reverse it use it hesitate for about 3 seconds before it falls into gear. The car would never go to high gear. The original transmission started doing this, then I put two more Transmissions into the car which both of them came from a car where the transmission will working very good with no problems at all. Could this problem be something besides the transmission. It has caused me to mess up an engine in the car because the transmission did not change. What are the chances of this happening with all of these Transmissions when I know for a fact I was able to drive the other cars with these transmissions and them and the transmission fluid change perfectly.

This would not happen to 3 transmissions. You are looking at an external issue like a transmission wiring issue, throttle position sensor reading incorrect, or faulty ECM/PCM. Has anyone done anything to check these?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Ask for a transmission wiring issue. Everything was plug in and unplug. I do not see how it could be a short or anything of such. As far as the PCM and ECM are you referring to the transmission PCM and ECM or the cars main computer. Where are these two components located on the car. As far as the transmission ECM and the car Maine ECM. I need to know the location on the car for these components. You mentioned the throttle position sensor. Where is the location for the throttle position sensor. I do have the cars that these Transmissions were removed from. Thank you
Can I take the ECM from the other car and put into the existing car. Can I remove the throttle position sensor from the red car and put into this car. Will I need to have the ECM whether it be the transmission one or the main one program for this particular car if I put them on this car. Thank you

The wiring that can be to blame is between the transmission and computer.

The PCM is behind the center of the dash.

Yes you can swap computers, but you will need to program it to your vehicle.

Does the transmission have its own ecm. If so, where is the location. When you refer to the ecm, is transmission ecm the same as the engine ecm. Do I have to take the car to the dealership to get the ecm programmed.
Just to inform you, prior to the original transmission giving me problems, it was working fine. Just one day it started to act up by not changing and acting very erratic. That is when I started changing transmissions and have put two Transmissions into the car resulting in the same problem as the first one started giving me.
I am not getting any transmission codes on my portable scanner other than oxygen sensor. Could that be a problem and cause the transmission to act erratic. I don't know why. Keep in mind the car worked fine with the original transmission until it started acting up. My car had been wrecked at one time on the driver side front

No it does not, the main computer PCM controls the engine and trans.

It is behind the center of the dash.

ECM and PCM are the same things, I mentioned both because people often use one or the other to describe them.

Programming is done by the dealer.

Most generic tools cannot get trans codes.

Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician