Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a an electrical question for an Acura 2012 TL. Would…

Customer Question
I have a an...

I have a an electrical question for an Acura 2012 TL. Would you be able to help with that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

The specific problem is related to the SCTY (Security) cable from the passenger side MICU to the radio/nav display. I'll get more detail when you have a mechanic willing to tackle this one.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Acura
I have a Base model Acura TL 2012. It has a non-navigation stereo system. I want to upgrade it to a OEM navigation system and have purchased a new head unit and new navigation display. I have made a custom wiring harness with over 100 soder connections and have placed it in the vehicle and connected up the new head unit and nav display to the existing wiring in the Base TL and some misc connections. The voltage on the SCTY wire from the passenger side MICU (D22) registers battery voltage 11.5v DC +/-. This wire use to connect to the old (non-Navigation) head unit at connector A4. This is native to the car and I have done nothing to modify it. When looking at the wiring diagrams for a navigation system, the wire coming from the passenger side MICU (Same connector, D22) should be wired to the Navigation display and should have 0.0 voltage on it (signal only). Then there is a wire from the Nav display down to the navigation head unit that connects to A4, again 0.0 voltage (signal only). My question is..... "Did Acura really do this? Put battery voltage on the SCTY wire on the Base model, but on the navigation model, the same wire is 0.0 voltage (signal only). When I plugged this all in, the navigation screen somewhat worked for a few seconds, then quit. I'm guessing the battery voltage on the SCTY wire burned out the circuit board on the navigation display. (is this easily fixable?) On a related question, when I had everything plugged in, the volume from new (nagivation) head unit was either FULL ON or off. No ability to adjust the volume on the stereo. Is this problem related to the SCTY signal not being correct????
Answered in 2 days by:
12/11/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Acura Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither is the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Sometimes what a customer asks, no experts online are confident their answer will be good enough. Is there any more information you can add to your concern or is there another concern you may have that we could answer instead?

Chris

Could you answer this.... Do you have a wiring diagram of the passenger side MICU that shows all pin connectors / descriptions and their corresponding voltages? I need this for both Base 2012 TL as well as one w/ navigation.

Here is what the wire diagrams I have look like. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qz7khj2czxog0zs/tl1.pdf?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/qm0h8qfsol7um0a/tl2.pdf?dl=0 Do those help?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Unfortunately I can’t look at these until I get home tonight. Until then, can you answer this, “do I even need to connect the SCTY wire from the Passenger MICU to the Nav Display? Or would it work without it?

Honestly, I do not know that answer. I do my best to stay away from radio alterations due to the cars complexity and the communications nowadays between module to module. It appears since no other has attempted to help, no one else knows the answer either or wants to get involved. At the dealership when we get asked to do changes like this, we decline because in the past it has just turned into a mess and hassle.

Thank you for the wiring diagrams, however, I had already put together my own to get to this point (although mine are not a nicely done!) I think the I need to get another display unit (and not connect the SCTY wire) and see if I'm still having problems. This may take another week or so.My second major item is the volume (which may or may not be related). Would you have any idea on why I cannot control the volume (on the new head unit)? It is either ALL ON or all off....and there is a 1/2 second pause every 7 seconds. Again, I thought this may be a security issue.... Have you or your co-workers ever heard of a problem where you can't control the volume?A 3rd issue (which may also be related to the Navigation screen being burned out, (presumably by the SCTY wire battery voltage on it).... is connecting up a 3rd party rear backup camera. (It only has a power cable and a video cable). Any tricks on what pins (or their description) the should go to. I heard once on an older acura that all you needed to do was "jumper two pins together" and the OEM system would work with any 3rd party camera.

Sorry but I do not have anything left to offer. I will opt out.