Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 RDX, 93,000 miles. Twice now after a drive, have

Customer Question
2008 RDX, 93,000 miles...

2008 RDX, 93,000 miles. Twice now after a long drive, have noticed a hooting whine sound that I cannot figure out. Heard at low speeds and idle, varies when adding power, doesn't seem related to the turbo. Only happened when car is well warmed up. Even parked, felt a constant vibt=ration through steerig wheel. WEIRD. Ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

Well handling. Plenty of energy. Fuel economy as horrid as ever. SOME issues sneaking in about either a strut or something in steering.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Turbo?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

I can't fix ANYTHING. I am stupid about cars since my 1978 Chevy Nova.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much does it cost me to get an opinin online?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Acura Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

That's a pretty big range. I can commit $10 or $20, but beyond that I should take it in.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Acura
The sound is not especially loud, BTW.
12/7/2017
Mechanic for Acura: acramstr, ASE Master Tech replied 4 months ago
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem. This could be many things ao I will try to help you narrow it down a bit. First of all check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir low fluid will cause the pump to make noise. Get the car making the noise and open the hood try to see if you can see approximately where it is coming from. We sometimes see alternators or cooling fan bearings make noise as well. I know this is a little general but noises can be hard without seeing the car. Perhaps you could upload a video with sound to the site so I can hear it.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

This has only happened twice thus far, both times after long (1 hour plus) trips. First noted this slowing for the off-ramp after 45 minutes of highway. The sound seems a lot more like air through a venturi than anything like a bearing. If it were low fluid-related, wouldn't it happen all the time? Most of my driving is local, so I haven't heard it again. I have a longer trip tomorrow, maybe it will happen again. It was stupid of me to ask a sound-related question on a silent forum.

It could be a fan belt tensioner , cooling fan motor or an alternator bearing We see them make noise when hot. Try opening the hood when it makes the noise and try to tell me at least the general area of the noise and maybe we can narrow it down.

Hasn't made the sound again, even after similar trips in similar weather conditions. I guess this is a dead end for now. Cannot spend any more money on this question. Thanks for your attempts. I will be smart enough not to ask such an open-possibility, noise-related question on this forum! Not sure you are able to perceive from my description what this is, because I would be totally surprised if it is related to a belt or bearing. It is too hooty for that. We should probably close out the question, because I am no farther ahead, and you have done all you can from afar. Can we compromise on the cost of the answer?

If you don't hit accept I don't think you will be charged . ill send the question to the moderators for you.

I want to pay you something. I asked; you answered as well as you could. I was hoping to maybe pay a little less that $29 if possible; if it is all or nothing, I will pay the $29. I am not a creep.

The site should contact you and I am sure they can work something out.

acramstr
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech