Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

05 Acura TL, same issue as above. Car was involved on a

Customer Question
collision and I purchased a...
05 Acura TL, same issue as above. Car was involved on a collision and I purchased a 04 parts car. I put drivers airbag,seatbelt, module and front impact sensors. The airbag light will not turn off. I did a wire jump to read the codes and I came up with a 8 long 5 short code. Please help.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Acura
11/25/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Pete, Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

Code 85 is for the module, internal fault. Since you replaced the module from an 04 car are the part numbers the same. If not it will set this code. It is not a good idea to use a used module for air bags. It is a liability issue.

The model number was the same. Will I need to have it reprogrammed. Or do I need to get one with all matching numbers?

All the numbers must match, model number,serial number and if it has a service number it all has to match. Only other option is to get a new one from the dealer. I have never had any luck with getting them reprogrammed from rebuilders. Have you tried to clear the codes with a scanner? Disconnecting the battery usually dosn't work with air bag codes.

if the n u embers do not match it will give this Code? Even if it is a good module?

Yes because the original module numbers have a calibration for the opds. This is for the passenger seat. It detects the weight of a person sitting on the seat. So your 04 module is probably good.Also the 04 module might work if it programmed to the opds. There is a sensor in the passenger seat.Some after market scanners will do this. The dealer might do it but they usually want to sell you a new module. Is there any independant shops that specialize in Acura or Honda near you? They might have a scanner to do this programming for you.

there is. I was wondering. I know the module was good from the 04. Will the opds programming give me the code 85? If so I'll just have it programmed. Also if I switched the seat sensors would that fix it without programming?

Yes it will give you the code because the module is missing the seat sensor input. I would try switching the sensors to see what happens. You might get away without having to reprogramm the 04 module. Then you can try disconnecting the battery and touching the terminals together for 30 seconds. This might clear all of the codes.

thank you