Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have kept my car keys in my right pocket for 50 years. I…

I have kept my...

I have kept my car keys in my right pocket for 50 years. I have never lost them. But the key to my TL locks the doors (and once or twice put down the windows or the sunroof) when I bend over. And I do that a lot in my office! I am getting a TLX with auto start shortly. Now it's going to start my car at random. Including in my garage! I want to have the auto starter work when I want. How can I box the key so that it will not go off so easily?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Sort of. The TL is 2012, and it has an after-market starter. Once I saw that problem, I keep that in a drawer i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?

At home and another at work. I'm not fixing the TL. I live with it. B ut having those problems is minor compared to having the car start all b y itself--particularly in a garage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really. I know I can disable the car from auto starting, but that is before I go in. I was hoping there is another idea, or a car that doesn't push the buttons.

11/21/2017
camerontech
camerontech, auto technician

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

I see your problem...
how would something simple as a fob cover work?

here is an ebay link

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/011G-Leather-Key-fob-Holder-Case-Chain-Cover-fit-For-ACURA-MDX-TL-TSX-RSX/222694919204?fits=Year%3A2012%7CMake%3AAcura%7CModel%3ATL&hash=item33d9a6cc24:g:PWIAAOSwe-FU3bty&vxp=mtr

Good idea. I didn't know there might be an actual item; though I suspect that this key is a lot bigger than what I can find. Still, I'll look when I get the car.
Thank you very much

no problem

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for folow ups too!

thansk and i appreciate positive ratings

cam

camerontech
camerontech, auto technician