Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Acura RL and for the past 6 months I have

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 Acura RL and for the past 6 months I have spent upwards of $1,500 due to a drainage on the electronics system. The first hint of trouble was the information strip that sits on top of the dash. I began to flicker on and off, sometimes staying on for long periods of time and then going off. Then my battery would run down but when my mechanic checked the battery it was OK. The battery was at that time 2.5 years old so I bought another one. Things went along OK for a few weeks and then the cycle started over. I took it to a mechanic in Atlanta who only worked on Honda products. He said the battery was not strong enough for the car and recommended a new one. He also changed the alternator. Since the battery was practically new, I did not change it. Again, all was well but as before the cycle began anew. This time I took the car to an Acura dealership in Macon. I left the car with them for a week while I was out of town. The diagnosed a battery that was recommended for the Acura plus a switch assy. (for what I know not). I bought the battery. Once again things were OK BUT this morning my car would not start. Further, it was completely dead. I could not even get the ignition to turn at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Have you had any similar experiences reported to you?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Acura?

An RL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I am no mechanic. See my description of the problems above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Today, my local mechanic came to the house and got the car to his shop. While we were driving to his shop, practically every warning light lit up the dash. He ran a diagnostic and one that was mentioned to me had to do with the power steering. This sort of rang a bell with me because my preset steering position does not always return to the base position and sometimes will not return to the preset position.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Acura
11/20/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So none of these mechanics have performed a draw test?

No one has mentioned that term to me but they all seem to agree that something is draining the battery

thats is crazy so each one of these mechanic owes your money back, when you take your car to them your paying for a diagnosis and not a guess ya know, unfortunately a lot of mechanic arnt qualified to do these kind of things, if it were me I would take it back to the dealer and request a master mechanic to work on it and also speak directly with the service manager, you shouldnt have to pay for any more services as they have just thrown parts at the car and not repaired anything, it should say it in the service contract you signed

Do you have any idea what could be draining the electrical system? Is there such a thing as a fuse or relay that could be affecting the entire system?

there would be no way to tell without doinf the test, a fuse wouldnt cause that unless it had major corrosion buildup and partially stuck relay could cause a drain but both very unlikely, most drains are caused by a module or component of the electrical system that have shorted out.

Is there any test that would show which module could be compromised?

you can do the draw test, heres one of the best videos I know of that will walk you though step buy step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

Mechanic for Acura: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

what fuse was causing the draw?

thebesthonda
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician