Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2015 Acura RDX was fine this morning, but when I tried to…

Customer Question
My 2015 Acura RDX...

My 2015 Acura RDX was fine this morning, but when I tried to start it just now after having engine off for maybe 5 minutes, the dashboard lights started blinking and the car would not start. The brakes are locked and there is not power seemingly to any thing--

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

I don't know where the fuses are, would that cause the brakes to lock up/

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RSX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am just trying to get the car started. I have called my local Acura service, but no-one has called me back. i was given the name of a local towing service. I just thought maybe there was something I could do that would help the care to "reset", Like I said , it was fine this AM at 7:30, I drove it to work about 10 miles. was at work for 2 hours, then went to grocery store for 30 minutes, then care home and pulled into garage, and shut the car off; unloaded the groceries, and then when I tried to restart the car to leave to go to airport, the car would not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. just the above last message

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Acura
11/20/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Pete, Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like a dead or weak battery.A dead or weak battery will cause the lights to flash as well as the brake pedal to be firm as you press on the pedal a few times it will firm up if the engine is not started.This can be due to loose or corroded battery cables at or leading from the battery or an issue with the battery itself at fault needing replaced.It may also be that the alternator was not charging the battery properly causing low voltage that caused this fault.This can occur suddenly like your seeing here.

I would try to obtain a jump start from someone with jumper cables or a tow or AAA company to see if it starts then.If it does then you want to have the battery and alternator tested for any issues as well as the battery cables checked for any issues needing corrected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

sounds like there is nothing I can do except have it towed to the acura dealership. I somehow doubt it is the battery as interior car lights come on when the door is opened. I am just baffled that the problem came on so suddenly without warning. I had thought this car would warn me of low battery or trouble with the alternator. Thanks for your help

Your welcome

Low voltage or even amperage would allow the interior lights to come on as well as some other electronics to work still but it will not allow starting.The flashing lights you see sound like a low battery causing this fault.The only warning you would have is if the alternator was failing you would of seen a battery or charge light come on on the dash when it was running before you shut it off last.It doesnt necessarily have to go to a dealer.If you can get it jump started a local parts store can test the battery and alternator for you at no charge and if it did have a bad battery they are also known in allot of cases to install a battery free of charge.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician