Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

04 mdx cranks but will not turn over, immobilizer key light…

04 mdx cranks but will...
04 mdx cranks but will not turn over, green immobilizer key light on dash doesn't come on at all
10/15/2017
david craig
david craig, Acura Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. When the key is turned to the run position can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

No fuel pump or green light

ok, not worried about the green light yet.

do you have a volt meter?

pull the fuel pump relay. ill send you the location

fuse is good, have service manual if helps

ok. standby

where is this relay? looking for in manual haven't found yet

standby

had to see in picture, is it the one blue connector to the right of the steering shaft? might be easier to call me at(###) ###-####where I can look at it

blue connector. left side of steering column

one with yellow and gray connectors on it? If so, pull white tab off and it should pull apart? also, if this is going where you think it is, is it something I can repair myself with standard tools or more of a shop repair?

this is probably going to be a fuel pump replacement. but i would like to check power there.

I think I found this in my manual also, is it the red wire, white strip, gray dash, if so, it has 12 volts going to it. it was the bottom wire looking up at it. goes on a clip by itself, seems to be 2 connectors in one

ok. standby let me look at something

ok, so test green/yellow and red/orange

check red/white for 12 volts

red/white 12 v, green/yellow and red/org 0 v

ok, now turn the key on and check green/ yellow

no voltage,

not good.

new fuel pump, have to drop gas tank if I'm looking at my manual correctly

no its not going to be the fuel pump.

that green/yellow wire should have voltage after 2 seconds of turning the key on as long as the green key light comes on.

let me test again, I'll need help to turn on ignition. had ignition on longer than that before i tested

hows it going?

replaced 7.5 amp fuse and now works! Seems to want to have ignition turned off for a few seconds before restarting.

very good. glad to hear it! Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Just wondering, is there anywhere you can go to get an open fuse or do you just have to run a wire from the battery if you want to add something?

what are you thinking of adding?

back up camera, didn't come with one and don't want to use reverse light. very low amperage
want to be able to switch on and off when I want, keep on even when not in reverse if needed

you will need to pick up switched voltage from somewhere. anyways, glad you got the problem taken care of.

david craig
david craig, Acura Mechanic
Thanks for your help!

you are welcome. thank you

David, update the car wouldn't start again after driving it. I did get it to finally start after pushing on the # 7 and 8 fuses (7.5 amp). While driving home, the car stalled while driving. I did get it to start again after pushing on the fuses. What i have now found out, if I pull the #7 fuse out, the car starts and runs. soon as I put it back in, it will not start. also one time while the engine was running, i pushed on the fuse and the car stalled. i have #7 fuse listed as OPDS unit, seat weight sensor. not sure why this would stall the engine and not allow the green key light to come on. Thoughts on this?

ok, let me look into this. interior fuses or under the hood?

driver's under-dash fuse/relay box, 22-70 on my service manual

#7 fuse should have nothing to do with that. #8 on the other hand would cause these issues as its for the shift/key interlock. you're going to have to pull the fuse box out and look inside.

Just checked it and wouldn't start with #7 out, put 7 back in and removed #8 and green key light came back on and started. I'll see if i can get to this tonight, but it looks like quite a bit of work to get the fuse box out. I might not get to it until tomorrow. What are your thoughts on replacing the PGM-FI relay, have noticed comments about the same type of conditions by other MDX owners and this is what they ended up replacing.

its cheap, replace it

I'll replace the relay and see if I can be the fuse box off. I'm back to work tomorrow, so I don't know how fast I can get to this. I'll get the relay first and see what happens. I might have to go ahead and take it in to the shop. Not sure how long this will stay open, but I'll let you know what the end result was if still open when things are working correctly, thanks again!

it'll stay open for 7 days

david craig
david craig
david craig, Acura Mechanic