Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 Honda Civic EX car is getting hot, cooling fan only…

Customer Question
2008 Honda Civic EX car...
2008 Honda Civic EX car is getting hot, cooling fan only comes on when car a/c is on, and there doesn't appear to be coolant flowing because nothing comes out of the radiator hose when I check them and there is no hot water running to the heater core
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Acura
10/5/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin if you have no flow then its highly likely that the water pump impellar has failed or gone live on the shaft .this will cause a lack of flow through the radiator and heater core .it will also cause the lack of cooling fan as if you have no flow its unlikely that the coolant around the temperature sensor is warm enough to trigger fan

Ok I will replace the water pump. How can I check the radiator flow without removing it

You can test flow through radiator by disconnecting hoses and pulling a garden hose in the top hose hole and checking flow from bottom

Please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

I replaced the water pump and thermostat but the car is still running hot. The upper radiator hose is hot but the lower hose is ice cold.

Have you got a heater ?

I turn the heater on but it is not getting hot

Ok you have air in system have you burped system of air ?

I'm not sure how to burp the system. Can you explain that
Can you explain how to bleed system. Does it have a bleed screw? Should I jack up the front

So from cold run car with cap off and heater set to full heat .keep running car until car either has a heater or starts to get hot . If you have a heater fit cap and continue to run if not turn off and allow to cool and start again . Once you have a heater and cap is on continue to run u tip both rad hoses are hot and fan cuts in

I still can't seem to burp the system. Should I try raising up the front? Still now water flow through the heater core and the temp guage is getting really hot then water shoots out of the top of the radiator

Is hose going into heater core hot ?

no the hose to the heater is not hot either in or out. The upper radiator hose is hope but the bottom hose coming out of the lower radiator hose is cold

Ok you could try jacking up front and leaving cap off overnight to allow air to escape

ok I will try that tonight

No worries

I jacked up the front and burped the system. Heater is working and upper and lower hoses are getting warm but when I put the radiator cap on the temp gauge pegged to scolding hot. What can cause this

Does cooling fan cut in ?

the cooling fan only cuts in when I turn on the ac

So it doesn't run when temp gauge shows overheating ?

No

Ok the most likely cause is the cooling fan switch

But even when the both cool fans come on the needle pedal all the way to super hot
I switch on the ac both cooling fans came on but still getting super hot

Ok this to me would indicate two options .either the radiator has restricted flow causing the fans not the be efficient at cooling the system .if this isnt the case i suspect you have a failing head gasket causing excessive pressure within the system

I noticed when I drained the radiator there was a lot crud it looked like stop leak fibers. How can I flush the entire cooking system

You can buy degreasing agents that are added to the cooling system then you just drop coolant after running with them inside

Ok where is the fan switch or part number for that I need to replace since cooling fan only comes on with the ac on? I'm going to change that and flush radiator first

Can i have vin and il check for you

VIN 1HGFA16838L076933

Heres the part number 37870-PLC-004 its located on the gearbox end of cylinder head and bolts into the water outlet

The cooling fans were not coming on unless the AC was on. I purchase the sensor that goes at the water and light and replaced it and the fan still does not come on? The vehicle is still getting hot one heater hoses hot the other is cool. I blew through the heater core and it is not clogged up so I don't know what's going on
I also installed a brand new radiator. The water pump and thermostat were changed and I blew through all the lines to make sure that nothing is clogged. The heater gets lukewarm never hot and the fans do not come on except when the AC is on?

Have you had head gasket checked ?

I rented a tool with some blue liquid and it did not turn yellow so I'm pretty sure my head gasket is OK. The main problem I'm having is that my cooling fan will not come on unless my AC is On i replace a switch you told me to replace but it did not solve the problem any ideas what that could be

Does car still get hot when ac is on

No the fans cool the temp down to normal

Ok im gonna opt out its deffinatly the cooling fan thats this issue .another tech may ba able to assist further