Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

She keeps dying on me while driving down the highway,

Customer Question
Hello, she keeps dying...

Hello, she keeps dying on me while driving down the highway, usually when accelerating. I CAN restart tho', but I have to pull over. wondering if it's the fuel filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Gas hog, not horrible. starts normally, but won't keep running if it's recently died. takes some "gas" on the pedal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Acura?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not self, nearing 300,000 miles, I'm the second owner... considering contacting a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Noticing some decrease in performance going down the road, like it's harder to make it "up" through the auto transmission that's all, thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Acura
10/2/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

if this doesn't work then it could be an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump