thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

Was driving and the charging system comes on and off on my

Customer Question

Hi was driving and the charging system comes on and off on my 2008 RDX. The car stuttered and bunch of lights such as ABS, battery system cam on. I turned of the ignition and car wouldn't start. I let it sit for a while and was able to get it started and drove to Pepboys. Battery and alternator test shows they are good.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Than I drove it home with no problems. I think the brake system too. Know what's going on with the car?
JA: What is the model of your '08 Acura?
Customer: Yes. Acura RDX 2008
JA: Are you fixing your RSX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. I have been reading in the internet and have seen similar reports from owners. Culprit was alternator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else but the experience was unnerving
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 1 month ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ricardo. looks like you have a bad alternator but before we decide to replace it lest verify that the Black/Yellow wire at the alternator has battery voltage with the key on, and verify that the charge light works if the key is turned on. The voltage regulator needs to ground the White/Blue wire to illuminate the charge light.

2. The Electronic Load Detector (ELD) circuit also has control of the alternator. To test the ELD circuit, backprobe the White/Green wire with a voltmeter. If the Engine Control Module (ECM) is signaled by the ELD that the alternator should charge, it will not ground the White/Green wire. When there is no ground and voltage on the White/Green wire, the alternator should charge. The voltage is output from the voltage regulator and the ECM grounds it to tell the regulator to stop charging. If the wire at the alternator tests good, then the alternator is faulty.

Tech Tips:If the White/Green wire is removed from the alternator circuit, the charging system will operate like any other alternator. SO a good test is remove the wire and if no charge, the alternator is faulty as long as it has good powers and grounds and the belt spins it properly.