Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Acura RL multiple issues, but ignition doesn't kill the…

Customer Question
2000 Acura RL multiple...

2000 Acura RL multiple issues, but ignition doesn't kill the accesories in off postion, thus allowing NAV and stereo to drain battery when parked for over 12 hours, fog lites don't light up when button is pushed, but left signal comes on ancd stays on, I can't seem to enter time, signals operateintermitently

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Yes... fuses are all good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Acura?

RL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Looked at fuses, all good, but after noticing the radio stayed on after key was removed and door was open, that problem became my top priority

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Acura
9/13/2017
Mechanic for Acura: PLCUSTOMER-mzof8sxf-,
 replied 8 months ago
PLCUSTOMER-mzof8sxf-

Hello thank you for contact Just Answer

replied 8 months ago

I will be able to help you with your issue.

Can you please tell me what "accessories" remain on when you remove the key from the vehicle?

This will help me further diagnose your problem.

Thank you!

It seems as though the swith is still in accessory mode. Just the navigation and stereo that I can tell... and bell for key in ignition
 replied 8 months ago

Thats great information. The ignition switch has sliding contacts "pins" inside of the switch. Sometimes these pins move and get dislocated inside the ignition switch.

To test, remove the igniton switch and probe the following wire, YELLOW (+) wire and ground. if you see 12 volts, you have a internal short in the switch. I recommend changing the ignition switch.

Please remember if you found me helpful, please rate my response! Thanks again!

replied 8 months ago

Were you able to use my information to diagnose your issue?

Thank you!

I was expecting not to have to repeat everything I wrote in my innitial question. ... I knew how to check ugnition and wires... I was simply hoping someone else experienced these things and were able to fix it.
thebesthonda
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician