Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

The inspection shop says that on my 1997 accura tl their

Customer Question

The inspection shop says that on my 1997 accura tl their machine wont recognize the obd connector.
JA: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I reset the computer and checked all the fuses
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Yes I could not find any bad fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

There is a possible problem where State inspection stations equipment cannot communicate with the car. If your check engine light comes on and then goes off when you turn on and start the car then computer is operating. It is recommended to ask to try a different tester or go to a different test site to try their equipment. Here is tech bulletin for problem.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArGz65GfcqjYomifRQu91Yax1-jF

If you still cannot get the vehicle to communicate then suggest trying the dealer tester to see if it can communicate or your engine computer would need to be replaced.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"