Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

It won't start it's an 05 Acura RL and it has the smart key

Customer Question

It won't start it's an 05 Acura RL and it has the smart key but when I try to turn it it won't fully turn all the way I don't know why the battery is also fine so I don't know what to do
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: No the steering wheel is hard because we tried to much to turn the car on and I don't know it's a smart key but It won't work when I try to fully turn it I don't know why
JA: What is the model of your '05 Acura?
Customer: RL
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not yet we may have to call our insurance to see if they can pick it up and take it to the dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Like we can't even put it in neutral
Category: Acura
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the key inserts but does not turn all of the way and you know for sure you have a good charge in the battery itself this usually indicates a fault with the ignition cylinder itself.It can bind up internally with it needing replaced.I have seen the cylinders fail like this in the past before and had to replace it for this issue here.If this is not a mechanical key blade that inserts into the ignition cylinder let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete