Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Surges while idling. When in gear accelerates on its own. 02

Customer Question

Surges while idling. When in gear accelerates on its own. 02 TL type S
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: Not sure and no I bought it just under two years ago with 83,000 miles... assuming the transmission is original, about 122,000 now
JA: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The coolant was low, I just topped it off. I read a thread saying the most common problem with this issue is the idle air control valve and to start with the coolant. I will try minimal trouble shooting myself. Depending on the issue is where I make the decision of if its worth fixing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Acura
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I do agree its possible there is an issue with the IAC but I would check for vacuum leaks first. When they are searching for idle like this it can be the cause. With the engine running, take some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake and any vacuum lines you see. If the idle smooths out or speeds up, then you have an issue with a vacuum leak.

If not, then you could try cleaning the IAC and see if the condition improves. This is where I would start with it.

Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how would I notice the vacuum leak?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Like i said, if you spray the carb cleaner around the engine with it running, the engine speed will either increase or smooth out. Stop searching and become steady.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this? If not, please remember to rate my answer.