Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Tl is overheating. No leaking, radiator full. 2-004. Mp/ ot.

Customer Question
Tl is overheating Mechanic's...

Tl is overheating

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes, no leaking, radiator full

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your TL?

2-004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mp/ ot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO. IT'S IN THE SHOP AND MECHANIC SAYS ALL HE CAN FIGURE OUT WAS TT THE RADIATOR CAP WASN'T CLOSED. I'M PUZZLED BECAUSE THE RADIATOR WAS FULL

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Acura
3/21/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The radiator can remain full in allot of cases with the cap loose and this causes air to enter the cooling system which will cause the coolant to boil causing an over heat issue here.

If he has not tested the thermostat to see if it is operating incorrectly this needs done.In many cases it can stick intermittently causing this fault here.

If this was already checked or replaced then I would have an engine block test done.This is done with a block tester usually taking less then an hour to do and most shops have this tester.This tests for any exhaust leaking into the cooling system due to a warped or blown head gasket needing replaced.

If this is o.k. then I would check the radiator fins to see if they are bent at all needing reformed with a radiator pick and if this is o.k. I would have the coolant system flushed to remove any blockages and the engine coolant temp sensor tested for any issues with it sending false temp signals needing replaced.

These are all of the components and causes for this issue on your model here.

I suspect this is a fault with the thermostat sticking needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete