Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

2005 mdx rear hatch door wont open. mdx touring, I see the

Customer Question
2005 mdx rear hatch door...
2005 mdx rear hatch door wont open.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Acura?
Customer: mdx touring
JA: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I see the silver lever in hole from inside of car. it moves to right when unlock, so I think that is ok. The outside handle is stuck in open position, cant squezze open. Not weather related, since happened couple weeks ago in the 50s.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes, it just started couple weeks ago, and hasnt worked correctly since
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: tried spraying handlwe with wd 40 = no change.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Acura
1/9/2017
Mechanic for Acura: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1-can you get to rear & remove the trim & get latch to repair or replace

2-please clink on blue link to view diagram

Tailgate Latch Replacement NOTE: Put on gloves to protect your hands. 1. Remove the tailgate trim panel.

Zoom and Print Options

2. Disconnect the handle cable (A), tailgate latch actuator connector (B), and tailgate latch switch connector (C), and detach the connector. Take care not to kink the cable.
3. Remove the bolts, then remove the tailgate latch (D).
4. Install the tailgate latch in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:
- Make sure the connectors are plugged in properly and the handle cable is connected properly.
- Make sure the cable actuate the latch before you close the tailgate.
- Make sure the tailgate opens properly and locks securely.

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the rear hatch door is closed and can't be opened since the rear door handle not working. How in the world can I remove the tailgate trim panel - only directions I see on internet search are based on the hatch door being open. Please provide instructions appropriate for my scenario - door is closed - cant get it open. Is there a manual way to get door open? If so, I could remove panel and repair or replace latch as you prescribed. If not, how do I execute removal of tailgate trim panel - is there a pdf for removal steps?

not that i know off

I will opt out of your question & open it for other experts to help you on it

Mechanic for Acura: Steve, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician

I am sorry the other expert was not much help. There should be a cover you can remove on the tailgate trim panel in the area of the latch. Once the cover is off you will see a lever inside that you can move to open the tailgate from the inside.

The tricky part is knowing what is wrong before replacing parts. The lock system must see that all the doors are unlocked before the tailgate will open. Even if all the doors are unlocked there could be a bad switch inside one of the doors. This can only be found with a proper scan tool like the dealers use.

Just re read your question and I see you already found the lever. Can you force the handle back to it's normal rest position? If it is unlocked you should be able to open it by the lever.

Steve
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician