Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

My 1997 Acura 3.5rl has an issue with the gear shift going

Customer Question

My 1997 Acura 3.5rl has an issue with the gear shift going into park it doesn't show that it's in park and it's hard to shift have to put it in neutral sometimes to get it to start and then when I turned it off it won't release the key.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The transmission is the original and no we have not checked the brake switch.
JA: What is the model of your '97 Acura?
Customer: 3.5rl
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband is fixing the car. I have only had it for a month and it was sitting since March. I have an old key that I put in the swift lock to get it to move. Because sometimes it's almost impossible to move the gear shifter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Acura
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That sounds like the trans position sensor, (switch) is bad. Located on the left side of the trans. Please see attached diagram, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Where did you go?