Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

Will not start in the morning when is cold. I just replaced

Customer Question
the battery. could it be...
will not start in the morning when is cold. I just replaced the battery. could it be the starter relay under the dash?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 250k and until lsat week was starting normaly
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2000 tl
JA: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the battery Saturday.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: about two years ago i replaced the starter relay located under the dash.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Acura
11/23/2016
Mechanic for Acura: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. I am guessing that your starter is not engaging when your turn the key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The starter was replaced about two years ago. When I turn the key there is no noise from the starter.

Ok. The problem could be a bad relay. It could also be a bad starter, or the anti theft system, etc. Have you checked to see if your getting power to the starter?

Unfortunately I am unable to make a phone call, but if you'd prefer a call im sure one of the other experts will be able fill that request.

I am attaching a picture of the type of relay used for the fuel pump. Supply power to terminal 3, and ground terminal 4. Check to see if you have continuity between terminals 1 and 2. With power and ground supplied, there should be continuity and without power and ground supplied, there should be no continuity. This will tell you whether or not the relay is bad.

FUEL PUMP RELAY

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is not the fuel pump wa replaced in 2015. I think that is the main relay.

If you believe the relay is the problem, that test procedure will either confirm or deny it. Have you checked for power at the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not yet I will check that in the morning.

Ok. Let me know if the relay checks out bad.

AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician