camerontech
camerontech, auto technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

Changed out my power steering hose because the old one

Customer Question

Changed out my power steering hose because the old one leaked. Started the car and now it whines and makes loud noises
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: continually because the hose leak caused the reservoir level to lower. Yes it whines when turning the wheel,
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 3.2TL 1999
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I'm fixing it myself. I drive it, turn the wheel left and right. gonna drain the system today and use a Honda approved fluid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do I need to buy a new pump?
Category: Acura
Expert:  camerontech replied 11 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced auto tech.
these hondas and acuras are notorious for air getting trapped in the system.
some require a vacuum bleeder to get all of the air out of the system.
after doing any power steering repair on these, a proper bleeding is crucial on these models.
i will usually fill the system, and with the wheels off the ground and engine off, turn the steering wheel from left to right full lock to lock for a good five minutes, this can help burp the system.
you might have to do this a few times and shut the vehicle off and wait for it to settle and repeat.

there is also issues with the oring leaking and sucking in air on the return hose going in to the pump.
this might have to be replaced if it was disturbed. very common problem.
ive done belts on these, and after it started whining because i moved the return line and cause a air suction leak.
some of these also have the return live looping higher than the pump itself. this will hold a air pocket and require a vacuum bleed with a pump to remove this air pocket

let me know how you make out!

please take a moment to rate me!

I am always available for follow ups

thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!

cam