Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need Nav Serial Number for 2003 Acura.

I need the Nav serial...
I need the Nav serial number for my 2003 Acura MDX Touring. I just bought the radio one by pushing the 1 & 6 buttons but none of the You Tube videos are working.
I have reset and held the map guide cancel button and nothing has happened.
10/20/2016
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician
On a 2003 MDX you cannot get the serial number through the display. You will need to get the serial number off the unit under the front passenger seat where the disc goes on, usually on the top or bottom. You might be able to get it using a mirror instead of removing the unit. The only other way would be to put it diagnostic mode by using the grey plug near the unit under the seat.
Here is what you will need to do:
1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
2. Connect the SCS service connector (P/N 07PAZ-0010100) to the navigation system service check connector located near the navigation system control unit. a paper clip can be used.
3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
4. After several seconds, the system switches to the navi system links screen.
5. Touch the Return icon.
6. Touch the Unit Check icon.
7. Touch the Navi ECU icon.
NOTE: Don't touch the MEM CLR icon in the Navi ECU screen; that would erase the customer's saved information from the navigation control unit memory.
8. Write down the navigation system serial number that is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

So you have already disconnected the battery and tried twice? Are you away from buildings when waiting for it to get a signal?

another thing you can try would be to disconnect both battery cables and connect then together for about 10 minuets and try again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have disconnected the postitive on the battery twice and nothing. I will try again tonite after work to disconnect both pos and negative and do it in a wide open space
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I tried everything you said to do and it still wont work, a friend said I need to get an updated disc for it ? also the back up camera is just black any suggestions there ?

Unfortunately a new disc will not help you at this point. The disc may be old but the fault is in the navigation unit where the DVD goes in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically unless I replace the dvd unit it wont work ?

Sorry to say but yes that is correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok next question, you have been very informative not sure if I have to start a new thread or if we can keep going since its the same vehicle ? as you know I just got it last week, there are some minor issues but overall im happy with the ride. ok Im fine with the navigation not working I have a Garmin and my cell phone no big deal there. Next thing is the back up camera is just blank and this morning I noticed the rear defrost didnt work, do all the wires for both of these go up thru the boot at the top of the drivers side window ? should I check for broken wires ?
Steve
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician