GDibs
GDibs, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master and L1 Technician
95771102

Acura Integra's Fuel Pump Takes Time to Prime.

Customer Question

1992 Acura Integra runs great with no modifications has completed 260,000 miles but the fuel pump takes 15-20 mins to prime. When the fuel pump does prime, the car starts and runs great. Switch the engine off, then switch to the run position, I have to wait again until the fuel pump primes before it starts. It also seems to take longer when cold. However, the more times I restart the engine, the time it takes to prime gets less, 20-30 sec.
Is this a bad capacitor in the ECM, if so which one? I have replaced main relay.
Category: Acura
Expert:  GDibs replied 10 months ago.

Have you tried a new PGM-FI main relay? They tend to be a common failure on these old Honda's andAcura's

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
that did not fix the problem.
I just now switched the car to the on position and it took 7 min for the fuel pump to prime.
Expert:  GDibs replied 10 months ago.
Next step would be to determine if the ECM is grounding the fuel pump circuit of the main relay or not. The ECM should ground that circuit for 2 seconds after you turn the key on.
If we can determine that it is not grounding that circuit then we might be on the track of calling the ECM bad or finding a bad ECM ground.
This would be a GRN/BLK wire that goes to 2 different terminals at the ECM. If you ground that wire and the fuel pump turns on, then we know the ECM is not grounding it.
The main ground for this system is on the thermostat housing. Anyone messed around in that area recently? I know I have ran across this problem on some Honda's and it ended up being a bad ECM but I don't like calling an ECM bad without proving it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No work has been done in the thermostat area, but i will check the ground to make sure it's clean and tight and will do the ground wire test at the ECU. If it proves to be a bad ECM, I think it will be a weak capacitor that takes time to charge up. I can change the capacitor but don't have a clue which one( uf reading), I think there are 4 capacitors on the circuit board in the ECU..
Do you know which one is for the fuel pump circuit? If not and the ECU proves bad i will replace it, i will do the test that you have instructed first.
THANKS for the info on testing the circuit. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thanks again. Ronnie
Expert:  GDibs replied 10 months ago.

Cant say that I have ever went in the direction of trying to repair the ECU, 0n my side of the automotive world I have had some not so favorable results from repaired ECU's. In this case though, it might be worth trying since it's your own car and you can't be mad at anyone if it doesn't work. Availability of parts could play a role as well. In my opinion, if you buy one I would trust a good used ECU over a rebuilt.

Good luck