Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

P0704 diagnostic code, P0704 and no have not tried to reset

Customer Question
P0704 diagnostic code JA: Just to...
P0704 diagnostic code
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: P0704 and no have not tried to reset it
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2003 type S 200,000 miles one owner
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: now began to get some information on the problem before I go outside for a fix
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Acura
10/6/2016
Mechanic for Acura: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does the 2003 acura TL transmission powered by a fuse or relay, and triggered by the TCM.Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0740
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where is my answer I can not call

I was preparing your answer , it takes few minutes sorry

take the valve body cover out and check the TTC torque convert solenoid and the circuit to it

Please let me know ,if that work for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

P0704--torque converter/clutch system malfunction

TC Description: Clutch Switch Input Circuit

1. Remove the drain plug (A), and drain the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). 2. Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer (B). 3. Place the transmission jack under the transmission, and lift it up to create clearance between the transmission and front sub-frame.

4. Remove the bolt (A) securing the bracket (B) of the ATF cooler inlet line (C) on the shift solenoid valve cover (D), and remove the line bolt (E) with sealing washers (F). 5. Remove the shift solenoid valve cover, gasket (G), and dowel pins (H). 6. Disconnect the shift solenoid valve connectors. 7. Remove the bolts, and hold the shift solenoid valve body, then remove them. Do not hold the connector to remove.

8. Install the new O-rings (two per solenoid valve) (F) on the replacement solenoid valve. 9. Install shift solenoid valve C, D, and E. While holding the shift solenoid valve body, be sure to install the solenoid valves until their mounting bolt brackets contact the servo body. 10. Install shift solenoid valve A and B. While holding the shift solenoid valve body, be sure to install the solenoid valves until their mounting bolt brackets contact the bracket of installed solenoid. Do not install the shift solenoid valve A and B before installing the shift solenoid valve D and E. If solenoid valve A and B are installed before solenoid valves D and E, it may damage the hydraulic control system. 11. Connect the shift solenoid valve D connector (G) with the ATF temperature sensor. 12. Connect the solenoid valve A connector (BLU wire), solenoid valve B connector (ORN wire), solenoid valve C connector (GRN wire), and solenoid valve E connector (RED wire). 13. Install the shift solenoid valve cover with a new gasket and dowel pins. 14. Install the ATF cooler inlet line with the line bolt and new sealing washers. Create clearance with the transmission jack between the transmission and the front sub-frame to tighten the line bolt with the torque wrench. 15. Install the bracket of the ATF cooler inlet line on the shift solenoid valve cover with the bolt. 16. Remove the transmission jack. 17. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its okay I am back

AT trans operation

General Operation The automatic transmission is a combination of a 3-element torque converter and triple-shaft electronically controlled unit which provides 5 speeds forward and 1 reverse. The entire unit is positioned in line with the engine. Torque Converter, Gears, and Clutches The torque converter consists of a pump, turbine, and stator assembly in a single unit. They are connected to the engine crankshaft so they turn together as the engine turns. Around the outside of the torque converter is a ring gear which meshes with the starter pinion when the engine is being started. The entire torque converter assembly serves as a flywheel, transmitting power to the transmission mainshaft. The transmission has three parallel shafts: the mainshaft, the countershaft, and the secondary shaft. The mainshaft is in line with the engine crankshaft. The mainshaft includes the 4th and 5th clutches, and gears for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and reverse, (reverse gear is integral with the 5th gear). The countershaft includes the 3rd clutch, and gears for the final drive, 1st, 4th, 5th, reverse, 2nd, park, and 3rd (the final drive gear is integral with the countershaft). The secondary shaft includes the 1st, 1st-hold and 2nd clutches, and gears for 1st, 2nd, and idler. The countershaft 5th gear and the countershaft reverse gear can be locked to the countershaft at its center, providing 5th gear or reverse, depending with which way the selector moved. The gears on the mainshaft and the secondary shaft are in constant mesh with those on the countershaft. When certain combinations of gears in the transmission are engaged by the clutches, power is transmitted from the mainshaft and the secondary shaft to the countershaft to provide [D5], [D4], [D3], [2], [1] and [R] positions. Electronic Control The electronic control system consists of the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), sensors, and seven solenoid valves. Shifting and lock-up are electronically controlled for comfortable driving under all conditions. The PCM is located below the dashboard, under the front lower panel behind the center console. Hydraulic Control The valve bodies include the main valve body, the regulator valve body, the servo body, and the accumulator body. They are bolted to the torque converter housing. The main valve body contains the manual valve, the modulator valve, the shift valve C, the shift valve D, the kick-down valve, the servo control valve, the torque converter check valve, the reverse CPC valve, the lock-up shift valve, the relief valve, the cooler check valve, and the ATF pump gears. The regulator valve body contains the regulator valve, the lock-up timing valve, and the lock-up control valve. The servo body contains the servo valve, the shift valve A, the shift valve B. the CPC valves A and B. The top accumulator body contains shift valve E, CPC valve C, 1st-hold accumulator piston, 4th accumulator piston, and 5th accumulator piston. The accumulator body contains the 1st and 2nd accumulators and lubrication check valve. Fluid from the regulator passes through the manual valve to the various control valves. The 1st-hold, 3rd, 4th and 5th clutches receive fluid from their respective feed pipes, and the 2nd clutch receives fluid from the internal hydraulic circuit. Shift Control Mechanism The PCM controls shift solenoid valves A, B, and C, and A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B while receiving input signals from various sensors and switches located throughout the vehicle. The shift solenoid valves shift the positions of the shift valves to switch the port leading hydraulic pressure to the clutch. The A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B control the CPC valves A and B to shift smoothly between lower gear and higher gear. This pressurizes a line to one of the clutches, engaging the clutch and its corresponding gear. Lock-up Mechanism In [D5] position (3rd, 4th and 5th), in [D3] position (3rd and 4th) and [D5] position (3rd), pressurized fluid is drained from the back of the torque converter through a fluid passage, causing the lock-up piston to be held against the torque converter cover. As this takes place, the mainshaft rotates at the same speed as the engine crankshaft. Together with hydraulic control, the PCM optimizes the timing of the lock-up mechanism. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve activates, modulator pressure changes to switch lock-up on and off. The lock-up control valve and the lock-up timing valve control the range of lock-up according to A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve C. The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is mounted on the torque converter housing, and A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve C is mounted on the transmission housing. They are all controlled by the PCM.

The shift lever has nine positions:

PARK, [R] REVERSE, [N] NEUTRAL, [D5] 1st through 5th gear ranges, [D4] 1st through 4th gear ranges, [D3] 1st through 3rd gear ranges, [2] 2nd gear, [1] 1st gear, and the sequential sportshift mode position. Starting is possible only in the

and [N] positions because of a slide-type neutral-safety switch. Automatic Transaxle (A/T) Gear Position Indicator The A/T gear position indicator in the instrument panel shows which gear has been selected without having to look down at the console. With the shift lever in the sequential sportshift mode position, the indicator light next to the [D5] indicator in the instrument panel will display the gear selected.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what am I doing chad?

i guess you trying to fix it ,what is your skill level ?

I will opt out your question , can not help you on this one ?

another expert will pick up the question

good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it doesn't seem like it is job for me- how much this will cost outside approx.
Mechanic for Acura: acramstr, ASE Master Tech replied 1 year ago
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem. Unfortunately I have bad news for you. 9 out of ten times when this code shows up the transmission has a failed torque converter clutch plugging the screens in the lock up solenoid and valve body. this requires that the transmission be overhauled . This is a very common problem on this model TL in fact the warranty was extended to cover this failure. unfortunately the extension is expired and the repair is no longer covered. Start by draining the transmission through a paint strainer or fine screen . If the fluid is burnt or has any debris the transmission has a failed clutch. Im sorry to give you bad news but Im just being honest with you.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

acramstr
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech