Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Its over heating when i turn the air on, yes, 2005rl, i

Customer Question

its over heating when i turn the air on
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Acura?
Customer: 2005rl
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i would like change the thermostat i dont know where its located
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Acura
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is only happening with the a/c on right?

You turn off the air and the temp comes back down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Normally this isn't caused by a bad thermostat. If that were failing the issue would happen all the time.

Check and make sure that both of the cooling fans are coming on when you have the air on. If not, then the hot freon out in the condenser in front of the radiator is probably not allowing enough air through the cooling fins to cool the engine coolant in the radiator.

If both fans are working, then take a garden hose and clean out the cooling fins in the radiator and condenser. If there is to much road debris in there, then it will cause low air flow and cause it to overheat.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I hadn't heard back from you and wondered if you needed further assistance with this?