mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My alarm went off and the car is stuck in park now. The car

Customer Question

Hello my alarm went off and the car is stuck in park now. The car starts fine and wheel moves the car locks both with fob and key just won't come out of park. Can you help me pls
Category: Acura
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 year ago.

do your brake lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but the shifter there should be a tiny panel that can be removed and you can use the key to manually release the lever. if you can move the shift lever with this then the solenoid in the shift tower has gone bad the one that controls the shift interlock.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It changes gears manually when I press the lever however it locks everytime put in park.

oh im sorry i misunderstood the doors lock when the vehicle is put into park is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No you were right the gear stick does change gears when the lever is used manually however locks when put in park everytime. .I'm guessing as a result of the alarm going off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can a mechanic fix this or dealership only

a standard shop should be equipped to repair this. you may want to find one that is a bit more electrical specialized than others. it sounds as if your shift interlock solenoid has gone bad which could be a result of the alarm going off if it went of abnormally out of nowhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks is this an expensive repair

it may be labor wise no but i do not have access to parts pricing on this part. labor is about 1.5 hours so whatever the local labor rates are that will tell you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I got it fixed and it was the break switch that went. The part coat $25 labour was $80 for 1 hr . Thank you so much for your help. How do I finalize payment

you just need to leave me a rating to finalize this all. must be two circuits in the brake switch.