Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years As a ASE Tech
7276279

I drove my Acura TL 2006 this morning. When I try to start

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** drove my Acura TL 2006 this morning . When I try to start it 1 hour ago the car did not want to start. The steering wheel and the break were blocked and the car did not start. The board electronic however was on. The service light was on but that is due to a recently missed oil change. I try to jump the car without success . Please advise
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No I don't . Speaking of codes ... I unhooked the battery to reset the system and the board Navigation system asks me for a code to enter ?!?
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Acura Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked for loose contacts . Checked the fuses. Unhooked the battery. Try jumping the car and next I will have the battery checked at a shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Acura
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start with having the battery charged and tested to make sure it has not just failed. If in fact it has jumping it will not usually work. As for the navigation code you are going to need to contact your dealer along with proof of ownership and they will provide you with the code to reset it. Do this after the battery and starting issue has been resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron,Thank you for getting back to me. I had the battery checked and actually replaced . However the car still does not start. It does make a clicking sounds when I turn the key. Is it a malfunctioning starter. Can I replace it myself ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Before you replace the starter take a 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and down at the starter with a help holding the key in the crank position check and see if you have power at the black/white start wire as well as the black/yellow battery cable . If both have battery voltage and the starter dose not spin then yes, it has failed. If that is the cases you can likely replace it depending on your skill level. If you need the steps to do so, let me know and I can send them.