Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

2001 mdx. nav screen doesn't work. It works very intermittently. got a used screen last night. plugged it in. worked.

Customer Question
2001 mdx. nav screen doesn't...
2001 mdx. nav screen doesn't work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. it works very intermittently. got a used screen last night. plugged it in. worked. this morning it doesn't
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: got a used dvd player too. unplugged old one, connected new one. nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Acura
6/23/2016
Mechanic for Acura: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check for any loose or damaged connections to the radio/screen assembly to see if any issues are found.If any issues are found they will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.If this has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked all the wiring and couldn't find any imperfections

Was it just the screen that was replaced or the radio/nav assembly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got new used screen and dvd nav player. I've tried different combos of each. My original system worked every once in a while, very rarely. I noticed it would work more in the winter for some reason. Got new screen installed the other night. worked just fine, then next day didn't work at all. Unplugged it, reinstalled, nothing. put new dvd player in, nothing. put old screen back in, nothing. All cables look ok

Unfortunately this is a difficult one for me to answer here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Mechanic for Acura: MASTER TECH, Acura Technician replied 1 year ago
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician

Hello new expert here.

couple of questions.

the navi unit under the seat is the one you replaced correct ?

was the navi unit new or used ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is the correct one, same as the one I had. It is used. I called the guy I got it from here locally, he assured me it worked. He totaled his MDX and is parting it out.

ok

now is this the navi unit or the dvd player under the radio ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nav unit, I don't have actual dvd player

ok was confused when you said the navi dvd player.

on on the back of the navi unit their is a grey 2 pin plug thats taped to the harness.

use a paper clip and jump the 2 pins and turn the key on.

tell me if the navi starts up or stays blank

this will tell me if the navi unit is bad or the display.

also the mdx that you removed these from what year was it ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2002 I think

ok can you find out for sure.

also let me know what you find with the jumper test.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was a 2001

ok thank you .

how about the test ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
jumping the wires on the plug didn't do anything

ok and this is with the original navi unit or the replacement?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replacement

ok please try the original unit please.

cause as of now its a bad display unit.

that's if the 2 pin connector was jumped and you turned the key on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what would make it work one day and not the next?

could be the display.

what happens when you jump that connector it forces the display to power up.

no providing you did this then it's telling me the display is bad

this is why im asking if you did this or not

MASTER  TECH
MASTER  TECH
MASTER TECH, Acura Technician