Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

My mdx 2008 makes a whining sound at low speed, can't hear

Customer Question
it after driving over 45...
My mdx 2008 makes a whining sound at low speed, can't hear it after driving over 45 MPH. Whining becomes louder with acceleration at low speed. Turning the wheel doesn't increase the sound. Steering wheel pump and fluid replaced but whining is stil there. Any suggestion?
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: May be
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Acura Mechanic should know about your Acura?
Customer: I had whining problem either steering wheel several months ado which I resolved by changing the O-ring. This whining problem is little bit different.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Acura
5/22/2016
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
Helli Im Chris and I will assist you. Of course I can not hear the sound but those p/s pumps are terrible. Can you open your pump reservoir and tell me if you see any air bubbles inside?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the vehicle is on or off
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
when running. they dont have to be big bubbles you should see circulation with no bubbles.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fluid in the center is swirling.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
no bubbles?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No bubbles.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
If no bubbles the next step would be to remove your serpentine belt and start the car to see if noise disappears.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
If noise goes away idler and tensioner puley should be spun to check for smoothness.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No noise when engine is idle. Only when accelerating.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
can you describe the noise as good as you can?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It s a whining scratching sound feels like something is grinding like a belt. I can reproduce the higher pitch sound with my throat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Old school automatic electric pencil sharpener or paper shredder
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
if you rev it higher at idle can you hear it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I let go off rhe brake in the reverse then I don't hear it but when I increase the sapped by placing my foot on the gas paddle then I hear the whining sound.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I increase the speed in the reverse then I hear the whining sound. Sorry about the typo. I don't hear the whining sound when I initially place the car in the reverse at slow speed and i stil have my foot on the brake paddle.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
i wanted you to rev the engine at idle. not in gear.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
place the car in the nuertal then push the car in the reverse? Can you please clarify "rev"?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I press the gas paddle when the car in parked then you can hear the whining noise.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
ok thats what i wanted.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
You have to take the belt off and press gas in park to see if the noise is gone. If its gone its either the idler or tensioner pulley
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to try that.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
Anything else i can answer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I take the belt off? Any instructions?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the noise is gone with the belt off then how do I fix the idler or tensioner? How much does it cost?
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
you will need a serpentine belt removal tool you have one? Its only a matter of putting it on the tensioner and pushing.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
The pulleys on both arent expensive about 20 to 30 bucks each. they are removed by simply loosening the nut in the center.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can get the tool and check. Do I need to replace all the pulleys or one? What about the idler? What is idler? Sorry
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
the idler is another pulley the belt rides on.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
ide replace both
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
they are both on the tensioner assly
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
that bar with the arrow is the tool and its on the tensioner so you can identify it
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
z
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow! That took looks cool. Acura dealer is not open tomorrow. Can I buy that took from auto shop?
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
most part stores have them
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
you got the pic because i cant see it on here
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
those two vertical pulleys are the ones you want to check
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
check the alternator too just in case its whining
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I check for the alternator? Can autoshop run a test on my car to see if it is battery or alternator?
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
no just spin it see if it feels jumpy on the pulley
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If whining goes away with belt off then I need to replace pulleys and belt?
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
ide do pulleys, belt if original
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Change the belt first then pulleys if needed then idler or tensioner pulley? Correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
spin the pulley while belt is off in order to check for alternator?
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
No
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
remove belt and spin pulleys to see which one is bad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will first check foe the whining noise when belt is off to then I will get back to you tomorrow. May I get back to you tomorrow?
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
you can. I will leave this open you just log in and write me.
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
If yo feel that ive been helpful please rate me so I can get credit for my time. Thank you and see you tomorrow.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you and I will!
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the sepentine belt today with the help of fellow mechanic. My friend checked the pulley and he said they were fine.We checked the pulley when car was turned off. I just wanted to make sure that I was supposed to take the belt off then turn the car on to check the noise. Could you please clarify?
Mechanic for Acura: CHRIS ZAPANTIS,
 replied 1 year ago
if you remove the belt and start the car and you dont hear a noise then the noise is definitely coming from one of the pulleys. If the noise is still there then we have to check elsewhere. So yes start the car with no belt to see if the noise goes away. While you have the belt off spin the pulleys by hand to see if any bearings feel bad or they make noise.
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS
CHRIS ZAPANTIS