john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

Acura tl: I took the rocker off of my 96 Acura to 2.5 .How

Customer Question

I took the rocker off of my 96 Acura to 2.5 .How do adjust the valves
Category: Acura
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.
NOTE:Valves should be adjusted only when the cylinder head temperature is less than 100°F (38°C) .After adjusting, retorque the crankshaft pulley bolt to 245 Nm (181 ft. lbs.) .Remove the cylinder head cover. Align the No. 1 piston TDC mark with the TDC groove on the No. 1 camshaft holder as shown.Adjust valves on No. 1 cylinder.Intake: 0.26 mm /0.010 inch) + 0.02 mm (0.0008 inch)Exhaust: 0.30 mm (0.012 inch) + 0.02 mm (0.0008 inch) Loosen the locknut, and turn the adjusting screw until the feeler gauge slides back and forth with a slight amount of drag. Adjusting Screw Location: Tighten the locknut and check clearance again. Repeat the adjustment if necessary. Rotate the crankshaft 144°counterclockwise (camshaft pulley turns 72°). Align the No. 2 piston TDC mark with the TDC groove on the No. 1 camshaft holder. Adjust the valves on No. 2 cylinder. Rotate the crankshaft 144°counterclockwise (camshaft pulley turns 72°). Align the No. 4 piston TDC mark with the TDC groove on the No. 1 camshaft holder. Adjust the valves on No. 4 cylinder. Rotate the crankshaft 144°counterclockwise (camshaft pulley turns 72°). Align the No. 5 piston TDC mark with the TDC groove on the No. 1 camshaft holder. Adjust the valves on No. 5 cylinder. Rotate the crankshaft 144°counterclockwise (camshaft pulley turns 72°). Align the No. 3 piston TDC mark with the TDC groove on the No. 1 camshaft holder. Adjust the valves on No.3 cylinder.