Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: I had

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I had my alternator replaced saturday at firestone
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Acura. The Acura Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: now my navigation screen will not display. I have the code but cant get screen to display. Also the radio(connected to Navigfation system for this car I know) I also can not lock or unlock my car except manually
JA: No, I use streaming services like Pandora.
Customer: I can't stream either.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: but my display over steering is ok, and AC, seats, and other things.
JA: Is there anything else the Acura Mechanic should be aware of about your Acura?
Customer: rear camera which is connected to display in out as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Acura Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I'm thinking its fuses
Category: Acura
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. What most likely occurred is a voltage surge or spike when the alternator was replaced.In some cases this can damage control units/ecu's internally causing the issues you see here.The first thing that needs done or what I would do is call Firestone and tell them what is going on and that it was not an issue before they replaced the alternator.They will most likely want to check it over for you and should be at no charge.They will need to check and make sure all fuses are o.k. and replace any at fault and make sure they connected the alternator properly as well.If all fuses are o.k. and the alternator has been connected properly then they will need to read out trouble codes and diagnose further to see if they damaged an ecu needing replaced.If they did then this should be repaired at no charge to you. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. They told me that Acura needed to enter the code for display. I have the code, I don't need Acura to do that. So Firestone would be liable for this? I suspect fuses, but everything was fine prior to car shutting down. I had navigation on, radio playing etc...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If they think it only needs the code you may be responsible for this as the code needs obtained and input whenever a radio,battery or alternator is replaced.Most shops will let you know that this will have to be done after their repairs.If they did not and they say this is all it needs see if you can enter the code and see if it works then.I dont think it will since you have no display to do it with but you can try it.If this doesnt work then there is still an issue internally that may have been damaged when the alternator was replaced but it would need diagnosed further to be sure of the cause and repaired from there. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete