Acura

Acura Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acura

I have a 2003 acura rsx type s with 109k ***** ***** on it.

Customer Question
The only mod is an...
I have a 2003 acura rsx type s with 109k ***** ***** on it. The only mod is an injen tech cold air intake. It doesnt have any check engine codes and none pending. Im doing the drive cycly it says to do to open the catalist module but it is not opening. The only time Ive got it to open before was to drive it really hard and on a long trip but when it finally opened it threw a check engine code for a throttle position senson. I replaced that and the thernostat since then. Just drove it for ocer an hr going 55-60 for 5 minute intervals and then taking off cruise control for 4+ secs then reapplying cruise for another 5 mins at the same speed then I let it come to almost a complete stop on its own like it says to do. Done this a few times today and cant get it to open it still says incompete but everything else is showing complete. All the smog guys I have talked too have all said I just have to drive until it opens. How do I get this cat module to open?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics for Acura generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Acura
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also turned all the electronics off the last hr of driving it. No Ac no radio nothing plugged in
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ran the car for 15 mins with both defront and rear defrost on and on hot high till it warmed up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can leave a phone number if it would help to talk in person, I work on cars at a lithia dealership so I have alittle car knowledge and people around that can help
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/20/2016
Mechanic for Acura: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
phone will work
you need to request a phone chat to do that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that the only way? I work 7am to 6 most days
according to site rules yes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, how long do u think the call will take? And can we set up a time?
its flexible whenever you want
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have tomorrow off, it charged me 14$ already or something, is it gonna be another 14$ in top of that?
yes charges you 14 for the call
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So can you give me a basic set of directions to try and get it open and then I can call if that doesnt work?
what scan tool are y using?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im using a Bluetooth scan tool. But Ive used others before with no luck
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only times Ive got it to open before I ran it so hard I could smell the roten egg sulfur smell burning from the cat. Unfortunately those 2 times threw check engine codes. Which I have since fixed
you need factory scan tool or drive it till the monitor trips that's the only way
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How will a factory scan tool help?
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto