Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 acura tl with nav system. I just bought the…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 acura tl with nav system. I just bought the car used about a month ago and the issue I'm having is that the Nave screen shows start up, runs for a bit and then in the course of driving, shuts down and reboots again and again, leaving it pretty useless. I checked the disc and it is like new. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Checked the disc, it's fine, like new. Took it back to the dealer, they can find nothing

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Acura
3/10/2016
Mechanic for Acura: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually fails and causes this here is the radio/nav unit on the dash itself.The circuit board fails or acts up internally and causes this to shut down and turn back on like this here.If the dealer was unable to duplicate the fault at all this is most likely why they were not able to locate the fault.Usually the radio/nav unit itself needs removed and either sent in for repair to an authorized repair center or removed and replaced to correct this fault.

If you have no other electronic issues on your vehicle here I suspect with the common fault here this will need repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete