Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have one other issue with the RL so I thought I would just…

Customer Question
I have one other issue...
I have one other issue with the RL so I thought I would just start another question. Unfortunately I don't imagine this one will be as simple.Everything on the RL is working great for the most part, but the tilt steering will move in and out, but won't move up and down. I think I can hear the motor turning but I haven't really pulled it into the garage and listened very closely, so I'm not sure. But from what I have read, it's probably the plastic or nylon gear that's broken, and if so I'm pretty well out of luck.I don't know of a pull-a-part shop around here and frankly it's probably not worth it. But someone mentioned that it could be adjusted manually and if that's the case that would be all I need. Moving in and out gets it out of the way, but it's stuck in a relatively high position.I would appreciate your advice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Acura
3/6/2016
Mechanic for Acura: acramstr, ASE Master Tech replied 2 years ago
acramstr
acramstr, ASE Master Tech

Unfortunately you are correct the plastic gears are a problem in these and they are not available without buying the column assembly. You can remove the motor from under the column and move the gear manually with a screwdriver to the desired position and then just unplug the motor . Here is a picture of the motor .