Acura

Acura repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Acura MDX. The check engine light is not on but…

Customer Question
I have a Acura MDX...
I have a Acura MDX. The check engine light is not on but when in traffic the auto looses acceleration. I have to put in park or restart. I have been told engine or transmissions problem The engine runs immaculate, so I thing they are wrong. Someone also told me my throttle body may need to be cleaned or replaced.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Acura
2/19/2016
Mechanic for Acura: Honda-Man, Honda/Acura Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda/Acura Mechanic

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

I agree that there is probably less serious causing your problem. A hesitation or loss of acceleration can be caused by a bad EGR valve. It's actually a problem with the Honda Pilot too. I have experienced this issue first hand, in most cases the check engine light will not come on. This requires replacing the EGR valve not cleaning it. It's an electrical issue not carbon buildup. Cleaning the throttle body is also a good idea, it is basically free and should help.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda/Acura Mechanic